Monday, March 29, 2010

Don't stop, make it pop, DJ blow my speakers up!

I'm sure many of us have heard of the overplayed song by Kesha called Tik Tok. Well it was playing on my iPod and I was just singing along to the lyrics. And there's this one line that has always caught my attention:

I'm talking pedicures on our toes (toes)
Tryin on all our clothes (clothes)
Boys blowin up our phones (phones)

(if you're interested, the full lyrics of the song can be found here: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/k/kesha/tik_tok.html)

I know songs are known to have the license to be creative and play around with words and all that. "Blow up our phones" really appealed to me. What does it mean? Obviously not that the phones explode right. I googled the phrase "blow up" to find out if the meaning used in the song had any prior existence and has been used.

blow up
1. To come into being: A storm blew up.
2. To fill with air; inflate: blow up a tire.
3. To enlarge (a photographic image or print).
4. To explode: bombs blowing up.
5. To lose one's temper.


Obviously the meaning carried by "blow up" in the song does not fall into any of the above meanings of the phrase. so then, I went to check out if Urban Dictionary could give me any answers. And lo and behold!

blow up

to inundate a device with messages
I was asleep for only two hours and my pager blew up!


Bingo! Seems like this term has been used by people to indicate the flooding of messages in one's phone. Interesting stuff no? I suppose it's like saying if your phone has been flooded with many messages, your phone could metaphorically "explode"?

No comments:

Post a Comment