Monday, March 29, 2010

crude slangs

You know how some guys can be pigs (I said 'some' don't get defensive okay guys =P) and objectify women in the most crude ways?

So 2 terms that I've come across recently which I've made links to: "tap that" and "hit that".

The words tap and hit, they're common and simple enough for us to know the meanings to. But I was watching Grey's Anatomy the other day and one of the male characters said "I'd hit that hard" in reference to a hot nurse in the hospital. And in many American films/dramas/sitcoms I've heard the phrase "I'd tap that" used very frequently.

In the Urban Dictionary "tap" generated this:

A term used to express approval, especially to the point of expressing a person's

sex appeal; often used sarcastically

Person 1: Did you see that chick?
Person 2: I'd tap that!


When I typed in "hit", I found this:

1. To inhale a drug
2. To have sex with

1. Pass that bud lemme hit it
2. Damn that girl's a dime.. I'd hit it


There's one more thing from the episode of Grey's anatomy that I wanted to point out. One of the senior characters in the drama felt left out in the hospital gossip and consequently felt lonely. So he attempted to integrate himself into the group of young sergeons by picking up on their lingo. So he started making a comment about a nurse during one scene in the operating room, and he said "I'd hit her, I'd hit her hard" and there was a moment of uncomfortable silence followed by one of the younger surgeons correcting him by saying "I think what you're trying to say is I'd hit THAT" and I just burt out laughing because at that moment I understood that their lingo meaning of "hit" collocates only with "that/this/it" and to say "hit her" must have made the other characters in the OR feel a tad uncomfortable and some even scared.

So anyway these words collocate must with "this/that/it" (read: objectifying women!!!!) in order to convey the intended meaning, or else the slang would just have failed miserably.

No comments:

Post a Comment